Treat Mum to some vanilla and strawberry cupcakes for Mother’s Day this year.
These cupcakes would be perfect for the kids to make for Mum with a little adult supervision but would equally make an amazing treat from an adult. It would definitely make a better homemade gift then a sheet of paper covered in glitter and pasta.
This is my favourite vanilla cupcake recipe, it has the perfect texture of a fluffy sponge with crunchy top. This batch makes 30 cupcakes. In these cupcakes I added pink candy melts but if you can’t get them you can use white chocolate chips or just simply leave them out. To make this a little bit quicker and easier you can just use 80g of strawberry jam instead of making the compote.
I opted for pink glitter and sprinkles for the decoration on these cupcakes, but you could top them with strawberries or edible flowers.
For the vanilla cupcakes:
• 260g caster sugar
• 260g unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 4 eggs
• 1 tbsp semi-skimmed milk
• 2tsp vanilla extract
• 260g self-rising flour, sifted
• 150g pink candy melts, chopped
For the strawberry compote:
• 135g frozen strawberries
• 2 tbsp water
• 2 tbsp caster sugar
For the buttercream:
• 285g unsalted butter
• 600g icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line 2 muffin trays with cases.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together till pale and fluffy.
3. Then in a separate bowl lightly whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla with a fork.
4. Then place the baking powder in with the flour and stir together.
5. Gradually add the egg into the butter mixture with a spoonful of flour. Repeat this until all the egg is combined.
6. Then fold in the remaining flour followed by the candy melts.
7. Place into the cupcake cases and bake for 14-16 minutes.
8. Once baked remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
9. Then make the strawberry compote by placing the strawberries, water and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to the boil for 2 minutes.
10. Then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
11. Make the butter cream by beating the butter and vanilla extract and gradually adding in the icing sugar.
12. Place the cool strawberry compote into a bowl and add 4 heaped tablespoons of the buttercream to it and beat together.
13. Place this mixture into to a piping bag and snip the end off.
14. Then core the cupcakes and pipe the strawberry cream mixture into each cupcake.
15. Then pipe the remaining vanilla butter cream onto the cupcakes and sprinkle some decorations over.