Chocolate and Strawberry Marble Heart Cake
The perfect valentine’s dessert a strawberry and chocolate marble cake in the shape of a heart (just for that extra valentine-y touch). However, if you don’t have a heart shaped cake tin or want to make this for a different occasion then you can use a loaf tin instead. Also depending on the size of the cake tins your using, any left-over batter can be used in cupcake cases, just bake for less time.
Another idea is to use frozen strawberries in the cake and leave them to defrost and then mash them, this will save you money as buying them frozen is cheaper than fresh strawberries. However, you want to use fresh strawberries for the decoration.
Any left-over chocolate sauce makes a great dipping sauce for the strawberries. I like to serve this cake with a little pot of strawberries and some of the chocolate sauce This also makes a great simple dessert on its own if you don’t fancy baking the cake. You could simply serve the silky smooth chocolate sauce with some fresh strawberries for a light super easy dessert.
For the cake:
• 130g unsalted butter, room temperature
• 150g caster sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 250g self raising flour
• 140ml semi skimmed milk
• 2 tbsp cocoa powder
• 50g dark chocolate, grated
• 100g strawberries (mashed)
• Pink or red food colouring
For the chocolate sauce and decoration:
• 200ml double cream
• 100g dark chocolate (broken up)
• 35g unsalted butter
• 1 tbsp golden syrup
• Fresh strawberries (to decorate)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a heart shaped tin with butter and flour.
2. Then cream the butter and sugar together until its pale and fluffy.
3. Then in a jug place the eggs and 120ml of the milk and the vanilla and lightly whisk with a fork.
4. Next gradually add the egg mixture with a spoon full of flour to the mixture and beat together. Repeat this until all the egg mixture is combined and if there is any remaining flour, fold into the mixture.
5. Divide this mixture between two bowls.
6. To one of the bowls add the cocoa powder, grated chocolate and remaining milk and mix to thoroughly combine.
7. To the next bowl add the mashed strawberries and the food colouring and mix together.
8. Take the baking tin and add a spoonful of chocolate batter and place in followed by a spoonful of the strawberry mixture and continue placing the batter into the tin until all the batter is gone.
9. Then taking a skewer swirl it around the tin to give a marble effect to the cake.
10. Next place this cake tin in to the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until when a skewer is inserted it comes out clean.
11. Once baked remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin. After this remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
12. Next begin to make the chocolate sauce. Place the double cream into a saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Then remove from the heat.
13. Pour the cream over the chocolate and stir till it all combines and resembles smooth silky melted chocolate.
14. Then add the butter and the golden syrup to the mixture and stir together.
15. Once the cake is completely cooled shave off the top so it’s completely flat and then turn it over so its lying flat and back onto the wire rack.
16. Next pout the chocolate sauce over the cake to completely coat it.
17. Get some fresh strawberries and place them in the middle of the cake.
18. And then dig in with your valentine!!!